title image Blue Peninsula Marine link to home page
blue pennisula marine

Application to Register a British Ship
Also Red Ensign Group shipping registers
including Crown Dependencies (Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey) and UK Overseas Territories (Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, St Helena and the Turks & Caicos Islands)


MCA Merchant/Pleasure ship Part 1 registration primarily identifies a vessels nationality. This is an essential requirement for overseas voyages. Part 1 registration is also required when a ship is used as security to obtain a marine mortgage which in turn is registered. Purchasers of UK registered ships can obtain a Transcript of Registry which shows the registered owners of a ship and whether there are any outstanding mortgages lodged against that vessel.

Measurement Authority:
We are authorised by the MCA via the Certifying Authority MECAL Ltd to take and record a number of measurements and registration details of the vessel for submission to the Registrar of Shipping for Part 1 Registration via form (SURT01). This is known as Survey for Tonnage and Measurement. 

Overall process:
To register a vessel the following elements are required:
1. Application to register (MCA form MSF 4740)-owner to complete 
2. Declaration of eligibility (MSF 4727)- owner to complete 
3. Original documents of sale (builders certificate & Bills of sale) - owner to supply 
4. Certificate of Survey (SURT01) –Completed by BPML surveyor
6. De flag certificate (if the vessel is registered already overseas) Note that any foreign documents used to identify the vessel must be formally translated.

We are able to supply the above forms if requested.

Fees structure:
MCA Registrar of Shipping pleasure vessel <24 m    £124.00 [2012-fee]
MECAL Certification fee       “                      “          £120.00 [2012-fee]
BPML Tonnage Survey fee    “                      “          £380.00 [2012-fee]
No VAT is applicable to the above fees.

Client/agent preparation for Tonnage & Measurement Survey:
Please ensure that:

  • Surveyor has access to ships papers.
  • Vessel owner/agent, marina/yard/mooring/land owner(s) have given permission for access to vessel.
  • All necessary keys/lock combinations are available for access to the vessel.
  • Intruder alarms are disarmed.


website design plymouth
Website Design Plymouth

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional